An Eco-friendly dental hygiene practice?
By Alison Logee, RDH, Ayurveda & Reiki Practitioner
We’ve heard of being environmentally conscientious and hopefully we’re all contributing in some way. So how does the Dental Hygiene Wellness Centre in St.Eugene, Ontario, play a role in all of this? All oral care products used in preventative dental hygiene appointments contain antiseptic herbs and essential oils that are organically certified.
Alison Logee, Registered Dental Hygienist since 1986, implements organically home grown and ecologically wild crafted herbs into her home made tooth pastes, gum powders and mouth rinses.
“As a green dental hygiene practice it’s important to work with equipment, products, sundries and programs that will have minimal impact on the earth’s environment such as”:
• Low or no VOC containing paints during renovation
• An oil less, well filtered compressor
• A dry vacuum pump instead of a wet pump
• Chlorine-free, high post-consumer recycled paper products • Reusable and bio-degradable sundries
• Hand sewn cotton towels in place of plastic lined paper bibs.
• Highly effective, bio-degradable and natural surface disinfectants
• An eco-friendly sterilization program to eliminate the need for disposable autoclave wraps
• A fully integrated virtual office to support a paperless practice
• LCD instead of CRT computer screens etc….
The alternatives available to transform any business into an eco-friendly environment are endless.